This is one of my very favorite recipes, I got it from my Youth Minister’s wife and have probably had it for over 15 years! Just realized the email I pulled the typed recipe from is from 2009, so maybe I’ve had it nearly 20 years?!?! #timeflies
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 T butter or margarine
- 1 can (28 oz) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
- 1 can (4 oz) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (2 1/4 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
- 12 oz spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I just use the regular shaker of Parmesan cheese)
- I used a can of garlic/fire something or other chopped tomatoes last time I made it and was really good!
- You can cut this recipe in half easily, full recipe feeds a crowd
- You can make it ahead and bake it next day, flavoring is even better
- I hand grate cheese, no bagged shredded cheese for me, so much better
- Easy to add/subtract ingredients for taste (more mushrooms?? no olives?? add spinach??)
- Reheats really well, so perfect for a leftover
- Use whatever kind of spaghetti you like; whole wheat, g-free, maybe even spaghetti squash, but I’ve never tried that.
- Casseroles are excellent for having your kitchen cleaned up BEFORE you eat…get everything to the sink, put casserole in oven to bake, and clean up your kitchen! I typically clean as I go and happened to look at the clock this night when I made a very similar dish and it took me 6 minutes to do the dishes while casserole baked. SIX! I love getting up from the table and only having to clean my plate and not a whole sink full of dishes.
A Plexus pink drink can help with the dishes too!
Find all of this month’s posts here: #write 31 days |October 2017